Wednesday, January 30, 2008
1 can of bailing mushroom - cut to desire thickness
1 tsp mince ginger
1 tsp mince garlic
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 cup water
1. Saute ginger till fragrant with a little oil, then add in garlic and fry till golden brown, add in bailing mushroom, stir fry a while, then add in oyster sauce and water. Let the mushroom simmer for about 10 min.
2. Add in asparagus stir awhile and let it simmer for another 5 min. Add in some sesame oil and lastly add cornstarch water to desire consistency. Dish and serve.
Friday, January 25, 2008
1 box of tofu
100g mince meat
1 tbsp mince garlic
1 tsp Sichuan peppercorn
1 tbsp hot bean paste (辣豆瓣酱)
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp Japanese cooking wine/Chinese cooking wine
salt to taste
½ cup water
1) Heat 2 tbsp oil in wok, add Sichuan peppercorn and fry till fragrant. Remove the
peppercorn and dicard it. Add in mince meat and stir fry till meat is cook, add in hot bean paste and continue to stir fry a while.
2) Add in tofu, oyster sauce, sugar, salt, water, pepper, cooking wine and let it simmer for a while. Add some cornstarch water to let the liquid in the wok slightly thicken, add a little sesame oil, stir and shut fire. Dish and serve
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 large eggs -- beaten
2tbsp butter -- melted and cooled
1 1/3 cup milkbutter for frying
The easiest way to make these is to put all the ingredients into a blender and blitz. But if you do mix up the batter in a bowl, make a well in the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar; then beat in the eggs, melted butter, and milk, and transfer to a pitcher; it's much easier to pour the batter into the pan than to spoon it. I like to leave the batter for 20 minutes before using it; and you may then want to add more milk to the mixture if you're frying in the blini pan, so it runs right to the edges.
When you cook the pancakes, all you need to remember is that when the upper side of the pancake is blistering and bubbling, it's time to cook the second side, and this needs only about one minute, if that.I get 11 blini-pan-sized pancakes out of this, maybe 16 silver-dollar-sized ones on the griddle.
Variation: Sprinkle blueberries onto the uncooked side of the pancake just after you've poured the batter into the pan.
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
350g/12oz self raising flour
85g/3 oz butter, cut into small pieces
about 175ml/6 fl oz buttermilk or natural low-fat yogurt
strawberry jam, butter to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6/fan oven 180°C. Mix together the flour and sugar in a bowl. Rub the butter in with your fingertips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre of the ingredients and tip in the buttermilk, all in one go, then mix lightly to form a soft dough.
2. Tip the dough out on to a lightly floured surfaced and knead briefly. Press the dough out to a 2.5cm/1 in thickness, then stamp out 5 cm/2in rounds with a cutter. Gather up the trimmings, knead again briefly and stamp out more rounds.
3. Transfer the buttermilk scones to a baking sheet, spaced a little apart, and bake for 12-15 min until risen and lightly golden. Leave the scones to cool on a wire rack and serve with the jam and butter or desire spreads.
Tuesday, January 8, 2008
400g short ribs
¾ tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
¾ tbsp wine
1 tbsp sweet potato flour
a little sugar
a little salt, sugar
2tbsp orange liquor (I don't have this so didn't add)
1. Wash short ribs. Marinate for a few hours. Rinse oranges and extract juice. Cut some oranges peel into shreds and set aside.
2. Heat oil and deep fry short ribs over low heat for 3-5 min. Then fry over high heat for 1 min. Drain oil.
3. Heat another 1 teaspoon of oil. First, pour in the orange juice. Then add seasonings and mix well. Stir in the short ribs. Lastly, scatter orange peel shreds and combine well. Serve.
14 mid wings
3 tbsp rice flour
1 tbsp plain flour
oil for deep frying
1 ½ tbsp prawn paste (lee kum kee fine shrimp paste)
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
dash of pepper
1. Clean and pat dry the mid wings. Mix with marinade and season for 30min.
2. Add rice flour and plain flour into the wings, mix well and season for another 15mins.
3. Heat up oil for deep-frying, put in chicken wings and deep fry until golden brown and cooked. Dish and drain.