680g(24oz) thai rice
625g(22oz) grated coconut
455ml (16fl oz) water
1 ½ tsp salt
6 pandan leaves, tie into a knot
200ml coconut water
1. Wash the rice and soak it in water for 2 hours. Drain before use.
2. Use a piece of muslin to squeeze 225ml (8fl oz) No.1 milk from the grated coconut.
3. Add 455ml water and squeeze for No. 2 milk. Measure, then add water to obtain 740ml(26 fl oz) No.2 milk. (I replace 200ml of milk with 200ml coconut water)
4. Place rice in the rice cooker, stir in the No.2 milk, pandan leaves and the salt. Boil till rice is dry.
5. Rake the rice with a fork, add the No.1 milk and stir lightly to mix.
6. Leave the rice in the cooker to absorb the milk for another 20min. Serve warm.
Note:Stir rice once or twice whilst boiling. Do not stir any more when the rice is dry. Stir again only when adding the No.1 milk.
Sambal Prawn (Recipe from Local Delight)
40g tamarind paste
50g dried chilli (soak till soft)
10g shrimp paste (belachan)
300g medium prawns (shelled)
salt and sugar to taste
1. Mix tamarind paste with water. Strain to obtain tamarind juice.
2. Grind dried chillies, shallots, garlic, shrimp paste and candlenut together.
3. Heat 5 tbsp oil in wok till hot. Stir fry ground ingredients till fragrant. Toss in prawns. When cooked, pour in tamarind juice. Cook till gravy is thickened. Seasoned with salt and sugar to taste.
Tuesday, March 3, 2009