Tried this plain bun from 孟老师's new book 孟老师的中式面食 , it was quite easy to do, the book says 'using the basic ingredients and shortest time to make this basic plain mantou', it took me slightly more than an hour and we can have fresh piping hot bun for breakfast...
Instant yeast 5g (1tsp+1/4 tsp)
Plain flour 500g
Fine sugar 25g
Salad oil 5g
1. Mix water with yeast.
2. Mix all the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, pour in 1 and mix till well combined using a spatula.
3. Use hand to knead the flour in the bowl till it form a dough.
4. Bring the dough to table and continue kneading till it becomes a smooth dough.
5. Rest dough for 5 min.
6. Roll the dough into a rectangular shape, about 5 mm thick.
7. Roll the dough like a swiss roll from the long side of the rectangle, cut into 8 equal portions, place each dough on a piece of baking paper/grease proof paper.
8. Place the dough in steamer, cover and let it proof for 20 min.
9. Start boiling the water in the steamer, steam over medium high fire for 15min ( timing count from water starts boiling)