Last friday nite Kenny suggested to cook some pasta for dinner, which reminds me that I have yet to try chef yong's tomato sauce. I did bought the canned tomato and bay leaves some time ago after reading the recipe in one of the issue of last year's 色香味 magazine but didn't manage to cook it. I just cook the sauce and pour it on the pasta, Kenny suggested that should have added some meat but I prefer it this manner..simple, and not heavy to the stomach...nice.
Basic Tomato Sauce
45g Tomato paste
400g Chopped can tomatoes, juice reserved (can use whole tomato from can to chop)
100ml Olive Oil
50g Onion- - finely chopped
50g Carrots- - finely chopped
50g Celery - - finely chopped
1 piece Bay Leaf
1 ½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Garlic - - finely chopped
Pasta -- half packet.
1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Saute the garlic until fragrant and add in the onions, carrots, celery and bay leaf. Saute until fragrant.
2. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes until a bright red colour. (Use non-stick pan or heavy bottom pan otherwise will get burnt easily)
3. Pour in the chopped tomatoes, juice and water, bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt.
4. Bring a big pot of water to boil, add in desire amount of pasta, boil for about 10min, drain away the water. Place the pasta in a bowl and set aside.
5. Scoop some pasta on a plate, scoop some tomato sauce on it and serve warm.